‘Tis the Season for Holiday Lawsuits
Giving is the reason for the season. But many Texans may find themselves receiving the legal equivalent of a lump of coal in their stockings as a result of their holiday party.
Social host liability should be at the top of the planning list for the holiday season. With office parties and social gatherings dotting calendars between now and the New Year, the holiday season can quickly become a lawsuit-heavy time of the year.
The following tips are holiday suggestions for keeping a lawsuit out of your stocking:
- For parties in your home, plan transportation for your guests, including designated drivers, taxis or coordinating ride shares for a safe ride home, and have ample and appealing nonalcoholic beverages for your designated drivers;
- For office parties, consider a ride share or taxi service for your employees;
- Avoid providing a self-service bar, opting instead for a bartender well-versed in identifying underage and intoxicated drinkers;
- Halt the flow of alcoholic beverages long before the party ends; and
- Take action if a guest does overindulge, arranging for transportation home.